Thursday, July 19, 2007

Two thumbs up for "Charlie Bartlett"

Last night, I traveled to the Creve Coeur AMC cinema to catch a sneak preview of a little film called "Charlie Bartlett". I must admit, I knew absolutely nothing about this movie, and my primary motivation for attending was simply because my admittance was free of charge. I don't want to include a synopsis in this blog because I want this movie to be seen the way I saw it: with no pre-conceived notions or expectations.
I was extremely impressed, I must say! It began as your typical teen comedy, but I was pleasantly surprised that this not-so-conventional flick is smart, witty, and unique in a world where teen movies are inundated with boozing, casual sex, and gratuitous, completely unnecessary shots of naked or topless chicks. "Charlie Bartlett" has reinstilled in me the hope that this cinematic genre, while entertaining and light-hearted, has not simply been reduced to typical teenage antics. I also appreciate the fact that this film stars unfamiliar faces. Charlie is played by a very talented guy who I've never heard of, but will undoubtedly become a household name in the near future. Anton Yelchin was sharp, fun, and represented a more accurate portrayal of America's intelligent, compassionate youth. His love interest was not played by some stick-thin blond with fake boobs, but rather, a normal, everyday girl named Kat Dennings. This little-known actress blew Hollywood starlets like Lindsay Lohan out of the water with her obvious natural talent, and more importantly, her relatability and realistic appearance. The entire cast was phenomenal, the script was hilarious, and this film sends a message of self-acceptance and compassion for others- a nice change from seeing kids get naked and wasted on the big screen.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Just saw it tonight, it was fucking brilliant. Like a modern day FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF.