Monday, July 30, 2007

Baby Momma Drama



Maybe I'm being a little sensitive, but my son's father's new girlfriend (who is ironically named Katie as well), referred to me as "just his baby's momma". I take offense to this. I'm not simply a "baby momma", but a hard-working, dedicated, loving single mother to my son, who's father apparently couldn't give a shit less. I responded that I think I deserve a little better than that, and that after 5 years of single motherhood, I've earned a bit more respect. I'm his child's mother, and I work hard every single day to provide our son with love, food, clothing, shelter, and all the other necessities that his dad does not. I work two jobs and attend school full-time, all in an effort to give my son the best life possible. To refer to me as "baby momma" hurts. Since age 19, my entire life has been wrapped around the child he and I conceived, which he later abandoned, and that's the title they have given me. It seems strange, but I don't think I've ever felt more degraded or unappreciated in my life.

3 comments:

Jason said...

I don't think you qualify as a "baby momma" when you are basically raising the kid (that would make you a "mother"). On the other hand, I'd say your ex is more of a "baby daddy" or "sperm donor" rather than say "father."

Anonymous said...

I don't even know you--but the comment reveals more about HER than it does about you. SHE recognizes that something significant came of your former relationship...and she doesn't have it.

xoxokatie said...

Something significant did come from your relationship; something I can't even fathom because I'll never get to expierence it. I can't have children because of a foolish act I did a while back. I guess I'm a bit jealous that I won't be able to carry my love's child.

But I'm sorry I referred to you as "baby's mama" and I'm sorry you took offense to it.