Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Expired Strawberries




My lovely, nutrient-rich, satisfying breakfast this morning has me feeling severely disturbed, and rather nauseous. I opened a "fresh" box of Special K flakes with those dehydrated strawberries in it. The delicious aroma got my taste buds watering as I poured a hefty bowl of the delectable cereal and topped it with a healthy dash of skim milk. The berries didn't look quite as colorful or plump as they usually do, but I thought nothing of it and dipped in my spoon nevertheless. As the massive bite entered my mouth, and my teeth chomped down on the usually savory meal, I slowly discovered that the berries were not only pale red and a bit bland, but that they were, in fact, completely expired, a faint white mold growing on the underside of each dehydrated berry. The taste was absolutely rancid, and the texture, mortifyingly tender and furry. In utter horror, I spit out the moldy food and checked the cereal box's expiration date. Granted, I bought the box a couple months ago, but I was flabbergasted to discover that the "best if used by" date was April 2005!!! For more than two years, the flakes and berries have been fermenting inside the cardboard box. I think Schnucks has some explaining to do.....

No comments: