Tuesday, July 1, 2008

UB40: "Please Don't Make Me Cry"

I am a huge lover of music. Music has the power to make me laugh, cry, smile, think about the future, as well as bring back memories of my past. Every so often, I'm going to be posting the videos of songs that have significant meaning for me and my life.
The first one is UB40, "Please Don't Make Me Cry". I love UB40's smooth jazz/reggae sound, but perhaps the reason I'm so fond of their music is because it's one of the only things I have to remind me of my dad. I remember very few things about him; I remember watching "The Wizard of Oz" in his lap on Halloween in 1988. I remember how great he was with dogs; he could train them to do just about anything. Our doberman, Rudy, was his pride and joy. I remember he loved listening to the Cardinals games in the backyard, while barbecuing and drinking cold cans of Budweiser. I remember he would sit outside reading the paper, soaking up the hot summer sun, every single morning. I remember exploring Churchill Downs with him, and I remember UB40. That's the extent of it. His UB40 tape, "Labour of Love", I believe, is the only tangible thing I have to remind me of him. I've cherished it for the past 20 or so years, and it will continue to be one of my prized possessions for the rest of my life. Anyway, this is why UB40 remains so dear to my heart. This song in particular always reminds me of the times, almost a lifetime ago, when I had a dad.

No comments: