Saturday, August 9, 2008

Last Day

Well, my tenure at Hollywood Tan is officially complete. Today was my last day. It feels very strange to know that I don't work there anymore. I've been there since June of 2006, but it seems like even longer. I am obviously a very nostalgic, sentimental person, so all day I'm talking to myself, saying things like, "this is the last time I'm going to clean the Mystic", or "that's the last time I'm going to see so and so..." All damn day! Well, it's done. After more than two years, I can honestly say that I have come out of that place with a handful of wonderful, life-long friendships (not to mention about $1500 worth of tanning lotion). It's been a nice ride. In many ways, I'll definitely miss it, but it's time to move on. One of my favorite (and final) customers, Nancy Rios, said something that I think will stick with me for the rest of my life. As she was leaving this afternoon, and after I told her it was my last day, she said "It takes a very special kind of person to be a teacher. You are that person, Katie." She said it with such sincerity, in such a heartfelt way that it really affected me in a way I didn't expect. People are constantly congratulating me and wishing me luck, but the way she spoke those words will truly stay with me for a long time. Anyway, I will definitely miss things at good 'ol Hollywood Tan, but I'll tell you what- I will definitely NOT miss wiping up disgusting puddles of people's sweat, dumping out trash cans full of urine, and retrieving shit-stained underwear that people stash behind the beds. What the fuck is wrong with people?!?!

1 comment:

Jason said...

God are we similar. I'm the same way, very sentimental. No matter how much I dislike a situation, I'm always a little sad as I'm leaving it.

One of the saddest things that ever happened to me was my dismissal from my bookstore job. They told me to go home, that they'd call me when they needed me again (our store was closed and I was laid off, so they didn't have enough work to go around as we were packing up the store). Well, they never called me back, they go the job done without me, and I never got to say goodbye to my co-workers or my store.

I'm glad you stuck it out as long as you did, and I'm glad you don't have to mop up sweat.